Monday 23 June 2014

The Longest Day Scratched


A Summer solstice week


 Every leaf on every tree is surely out by now.
Tuesday was not only a rainy day
but a sad one too
for a dear friend back in England passed away.
Sylvia was our very first neighbour back in 1969.
She took us newly-weds under her wing
actually more like adopted us into her lovely family.
We were great friends for forty-seven years
and will miss her so very much.


My garden is a wilderness of gigantic weeds!
Thursday the sun came out and I went to quilt guild.


Scraps from the cutting room floor


We celebrated the Summer Solstice at dinner with friends
followed by a sizzling chat around the bonfire.


Steve gave us some basil plants
which are now planted in a sunny spot.
I was stitching basil after dinner when
our woodsman arrived with next winter's wood.
Quickly added things that could be taken for logs!


6 comments:

  1. My sympathies. It is always sad to lose a friend - but good to look back on so many years of friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Lovely to hear of your 'longest day' -- with the beautiful quilt fabric and a lovely outside dinner with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss, it is always very sad to lose a friend of such long-standing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry for your loss, it is so hard to loose someone so close to your heart. I love how you stitch your story, do you do it daily? How do you find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very expressive ... from the sad loss to the weeds to the bonfire ... all presented with lively spirit ... the shades of blues and greens are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stitching is so inspiring. Wish I could sit beside you for a few hours and learn to improve my scratching. So sorry for your sad news.mmi realize that I have had many of my friends that long.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.