Thursday 15 July 2021

In The Middle Of The World

 


My pieces for
 In the Middle of the World
have been lying flat on two guest beds.


As I started checking if they all had sleeves and labels
they became a crumpled mess.
I loved the look of this messy pile of stitch and cloth
and had to record it here.


Stitches on linen and silk, velvet and damask
all dyed with plant materials.


For me sense of touch is very powerful.
It is the reason I work with cloth and thread in my hands.


Every type of cloth reacts differently
to needle and thread.


Every stitched mark enriches a seemingly mundane cloth
and reflects your own thoughts and feelings
of that day.


When you spend hours, days, months,
stitching large works
you can't help but leave within that cloth a piece of your soul.


I know that Judy Martin is also working on the finishing touches for 
In the Middle of the World
Opening October 2nd
at the Mississippi Valley Textile Museum
in Almonte, Ontario.


I know that our wonderful curator, Miranda Bouchard,
is working hard for us despite her responsibilities
and contributing so much to create a beautiful
and successful show.

I hope you have a day filled with the sense of touch!

12 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful jumble of stitched beauty and heart-felt expression!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning collection Penny and I am just so keen to know whether Ontarians will behave and we will all be able to gather for the Opening at Mississippi Valley Textile Museum October 2nd in your honour along with Judy! I look forward to this and will love to meet your curator, Miranda as well!

    Do hope you will be able to join us at Crieff...think about it. Sending some hugs your way! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this, so sensual looking. Oh to touch, feel rub. You do such magical things. I am feeling very old and tired at the moment and not wanting to do much. It is winter but I should not be like this. I think this on off lock down of covid is getting to me even though we have had both our jabs it is not being able to see one lot of family members for now early 2 years. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this, so sensual looking. Oh to touch, feel rub. You do such magical things. I am feeling very old and tired at the moment and not wanting to do much. It is winter but I should not be like this. I think this on off lock down of covid is getting to me even though we have had both our jabs it is not being able to see one lot of family members for now early 2 years. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such stunning work. I really love all of the stitch, it tells such a great story! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fabrics, colours and stitches, very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such gorgeous images Penny. The reason I love quilting is the lovely texture created by the quilting lines. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was such a lovely tease because I couldn't see the quilts laid out flat. So I just had to go back thru all your old posts to see them again in their entirety. I was surprised at how much I had forgotten about so it was like seeing them again for the first time. Just adore your work Penny and your pups! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a really gorgeous pile of texture and colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post Penny because for me the sense of touch is so important. There are so many pieces of fabric art I see online that I would love to have in my hands so I could appreciate them even more. I can see why you feel the happy when you look at these images!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you recorded your work together. They are stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.