Sunday 12 April 2020

Some People Know I Used to Use Colour!


Shorelines
I loved texture then.....still do.
Seven or eight layers of cloth stitched together 
(by machine in those days)


Then I took the scissors to it
and gave myself carpel tunnel problems for years afterwards!


I loved her weight
her drape
and her texture.
I love that she now lives with Judy Martin on the shores of Georgian Bay.


Sixties Groove
Also made at least twenty four years ago
Way before blogging!
Made for a Connections Show on the theme of Hippies.
I can't imagine now how I assembled all those curvey sections together.
This piece still makes me smile.
Memories it evokes
like my simple act of rebellion
painting my bedroom furniture pink and orange.
My cousin had ginger hair and the family always
said she should never wear pink.
But now we know differently don't we.


I am finding it quite calming to look back at past works
In these days of isolation, days of suffering and loss for so many families
my mind is scattered
my heart breaks
I cry
my blood boils
my spirit fills with admiration and gratitude 
for the heroism
 of those working on the front lines of this pandemic
Thank you.


The colours I am drawn to for the past twenty years
since the turn of the century are quieter and softer.
The lines I seek out now are those irregular
meandering lines created by Mother Nature.

I hope you have a happy and healthy day.

6 comments:

  1. lovely work, I'm drawn to marks on wood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay well, and keep stitching. It's always lovely to see what you're doing, but this look back is a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was a redhead and I was not allowed red clothes as I was told they did not suit me. I shocked everyone by wearing a pink dress and matching coat for going away after my wedding. Irene in N Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and work, peaceful and inspiring here as always.
    It is an adventure to think about past projects isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for showing those pieces Penny - they are beautiful. Stay safe and well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for showing your previous works - I love the colours because they're often ones I work with. But on the other hand, the palette you're currently using is so soothing and I love it too. Oh well, I guess I'm just a lesson in contradictions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.