Monday 16 March 2020

Bending in the Wind


We are all bending in the wind of dramatic changes at the moment.
Our individual worlds are shrinking.
This week I should be packing to present at the SAQA conference in Toronto.
Instead Judy Martin, Miranda Bouchard and I
are going through a steep learning curve in order to do it online.
So sad but necessary
There is nothing like talking to a roomful of textile artists
but SAQA is doing an amazing job of adapting
and we will get through this.
Stay safe

In between computer sessions
work is progressing on what I currently call Windy Tree.
We have lost so many trees to the wind this past year.
And this piece is about the time walking through our woods
.....but I've told you that already!....

I spent one day pinning stones and rocks in various positions
but
no....it was making the piece to weighty
I wanted to place emphasis on the wind.


So in between a few scattered stones I stitched
the messiness of the ground on a windy day.


It felt like a dance of needle and thread


Stitches dancing in the wind!


Then I climbed up the tree a bit
adding bits and pieces of windblown twigs


I didn't want to forget the big rock caught in mid air


Then as usual the Rusty Pups felt the need to interrupt
and bring in their favourite toy
They can keep themselves amused with this one for ages!


So all three of us had to have a tug of war.

Be safe

11 comments:

  1. LOVE love love to see your stitches !!!
    (keep safe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Bending in the Wind' how fitting, prophetic! Storms do blow through life don't they? As the saying goes, 'out of difficulty opportunity presents itself.'
    Your online conference will turn out fabulous, you have so much goodness to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny are you home this week? I hope so, and look forward to seeing you online this later week... blessings and LOVE Bending in the Wind - it will be such a special piece!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  4. we may be distancing ourselves in the real world, but the threads that connect us in the ether remain strong ... your gentle bending tree put me in mind of the Chaparral Whitethorns at Grace's Windthread blog ...

    https://windthread.typepad.com/windthread/2020/03/my-entry-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bending tree, Penny ... yes, we will bend to the prevailing wind of these troubling times ... and win !
    Sorry about SAQA ... but again, we just bend a little and see what comes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stitching has so much movement in it. It is all a waiting game at the moment. We can still beach Walk but shopping is rather scary. Stitching and reading and phoning friends are important at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to "seeing" you and Judy this weekend. Both of you have posted such comfort -- for which I am only one of the many who are grateful. May you and yours continue to be well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shape of your tree Penny. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this piece Penny - you've done a wonderful depiction of the wind and also a commentary on the times we're currently facing. Of course you know I love those Rusty Pups!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinated with your threads and your stitches as you build your windswept Tree, it's leaves and ground. Love this piece Penny!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.