Monday 18 February 2019

Listening


 Really listening 
listening to the voice within and
paying attention to the feelings that bubble up with every stitch
is important to my process.
I like to rest a piece for a while
and observe it
sometimes for days.
I like to double check that it is saying exactly when I want it to say
and that it is reflecting my truth.
For me those questions come way before
any principles and elements of design.

 It might sound strange but it is not always obvious to me
you would think it would be
but sometimes I feel bombarded by outside influences
and it is hard to to hear my own voice.


Whispering Cairns I feel speaks my truth
What I know for sure is 
this piece brings me joy


I feel very close to this piece
but
you might recall that it didn't really start to sing for me
until I turned it upside down!
As you see it is not always smooth sailing
but
so interesting to observe the struggles one goes through
and so important celebrate the aha moments!


I have always believed solitude to be a good thing.
For me that is to be in nature
or alone in my studio which looks out at nature.
Some can find their authentic self in a crowd
And that is why one stone in Whispering Cairn is unique.
Filled with a few french knots!


As I stitch on this piece
I wander back through the ages
to those folk to piled stone upon stone
in memory of those who had gone before them.
We are connected.


I will be sorry when it is finished
but today Handy Hubby and myself will
square it up before I start stitching the background.


 Greys are gathering in a basket for new stitchings
I have evolved
There was a time in my life when louder colours prevailed.
Softer gentler colours now speak to me
perhaps it is my age
or that I have grown gentler over the years
(though I try to be fierce!)
or simply because my hair is silver!
I hope I continue to evolve!

May your creative voice be loud and clear today.

15 comments:

  1. I think you are right - our own voices are often drowned out by those of everyone around us. It is good to know you have found how to listen to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been adding more hand stitch to my work these days; definitely a calming practice. That -- and a lot of knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Penny, it is such a relief to a beginner like me to see that even someone who has stitched as much and for as long as you have, still sometimes struggles to hear the inner voice in amongst the clamour of outside things. I'm often not even sure my inner voice exists!
    It is a great pleasure watching this develop. Thank you for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Penny, wish I could sit with you and stitch. Wise words. I am struggling with my latest hand stitch, the background is very busy, but I have had a few new thoughts. We will see how it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Penny, wish I could sit with you and stitch. Wise words. I am struggling with my latest hand stitch, the background is very busy, but I have had a few new thoughts. We will see how it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Penny, wish I could sit with you and stitch. Wise words. I am struggling with my latest hand stitch, the background is very busy, but I have had a few new thoughts. We will see how it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful post and a beautiful piece of work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So missing your smile and your quiet dedication to the art of the stitch... the laying of the lines and the crossing of the layers of fabric with the laid threads... circles that remind me of the many, many friends you have around the world and how precious you are in their own collection of memories of times sitting with you as you stitch. Love the piece here, and the grey's. Will you be back in Ontario this spring? so cold and yet spring is in the air!
    Love across the miles, bethany

    ReplyDelete
  9. The peachy pinky sections are so lovely in this piece. Maybe upside down is the right side up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful encouragement here, as always, thank you for being you!
    Design and stitching are a chance to celebrate aren't they?
    And yes, your piece is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just catching up on your blog posts - we visited the South Island of New Zealand for 10 days, so many beautiful lakes & mountains there. I thought of you when I was wandering the shoreline of one lake and there were a few cairns/stone stacks along the edge of the water. I wanted to bring home a few small stones, but didn't want any problems getting thru customs back into Australia.
    I like reading your thought process about your creative work, the fact that you say "it's not always smooth sailing" thank you for voicing those words, as it gives reassurance to me, that even the most creative people have their doubtful moments too. Wishing you many days ahead of 'smooth sailing'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your work and your words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look, look,look at all those stitches and that basket! The softness here is real! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think an artist can ask for anything more from their work than to have it give them joy. I am, I think (I hope), at that point with my work and I am finally very tentatively starting to call myself an artist. A huge step to make that leap from being one who makes crafts to one who creates art. Your words about working alone vs in a crowd resonates with me too - I work alone and definitely prefer it that way. No urge to compare myself or my work with what's being done around me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Penny, my name is Penny too. I love stitching, and my stitching meanders along similarly to yours. I love dying fabrics and thread and playing with them. I look forward to following along with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.