Saturday 8 August 2020

The Evolution of a Piece


Chasing the Moon  50 1/2" w x 40" h

Part of the enjoyment of hand stitching is the time it allows for a piece to evolve and tell me it's story.


In the beginning I started making a piece about the marshlands
after the beavers have left
when sticks and chewed off trees litter the landscape.


The sky called to me but it didn't want to be too clear
and so scraps and bits and pieces of colour interrupts the flow
adding a feeling of blowing in the wind....I hope.


Then the grasses reminded me they had to be included
because they are growing back with renewed vigour
since the flooded beaver ponds have dried up.
I wove them into the running stitch sky.


The Moon asked to be included in the story
among the flotsam and jetsam in the sky
and the title Chasing the Moon popped into my head.


Then the ground demanded attention and so
 I turned to enjoying the luxury of stitching through silk velvet.
 A delicious gift from my dear friend Judy Martin.


And so it is finished
the story is complete
Do you ever feel sad when you've finished?
No more to add
No more days of stitching.

But then a new piece grabs your imagination and off you go again
a new story starts.


I received a delightful addition to Stevie's story this week.
At the age of three she is stitching clothes for her mermaid!

 
With all this distancing I'm missing so many firsts!
Well done sweetheart!


13 comments:

  1. Evolving projects are the best, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this piece and seeing in close up how it evolved is extra special. So is your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this piece and seeing in close up how it evolved is extra special. So is your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this piece and seeing in close up how it evolved is extra special. So is your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this piece and seeing in close up how it evolved is extra special. So is your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moon is amazing! Thank you for all the close ups of your stitches, so interesting for a beginner like me. I am a member of a Stitch Club and we have a demonstration each week for 3 weeks and then a rest week. In the rest week I feel bereft - no stitching for a whole week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grand daughter's eyes hint at a story of a future
    fabric 'listener'. How wonderful for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is beautiful. And I am enjoying the story of the story. My little people too are far away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a beautiful creation - loving the stitching. How special to have a little one in your life, hope you get to catch up with her soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its a beautiful piece Penny - so rich with lovely stitch and meaning. Beautiful moon. Lovely to have a new young stitcher in the family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your story of how you and your work communicate is beautiully told, but the work - the work, the work, the art of the work - that is what it is all about for me. Gorgeous. I loved the mermaid's seamstress's photo too xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think learning to actively listen to a piece of art as you're creating it is one of the most difficult things to learn, but once you do it takes the work to a whole different level. I've certainly learned that trying to wrestle a project into my pre-conceived idea of what it should be most often leads to a whole lot of reverse stitching. I think my favourite part of your current work is that amazing moon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ps - meant to also say that your granddaughter is adorable - and obviously stitching runs in the family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.