Sunday 24 November 2019

Surrounded by Works in Progress



Beaver Moon Dreaming
Found a few hours to stitch a few more sticks
into my Beaver damn remembering our Springtime adventures
trying to discourage a family of beautiful Beavers from
moving into our tiny pond
which would have ended up occupying our entire
eight acres had we not persisted 
every morning with dismantling the three dams
they would build every night!


This is how most of my work begins
An encounter with Mother Nature
Something that has affected me deeply
no matter the size or significance.


The Rusty Pups and I walk at the crack of dawn
Just as the day is becoming a work in progress
We walk down a meadow towards the rising Sun
and into woods that I have named the Soggy Bottom Woods.
Beware anyone who doesn't wear 'wellies' along this wet and muddy path!


As we enter the Soggy Bottom Woods
I can look back over my shoulder and catch sight of the moon
as it fades and falls towards the West.


And here's our four legged pair of works in progress
who have recently discovered the bay window in the kitchen
is a perfect place to view all comings and goings.
It is hard to believe they are only seven months old!


6 comments:

  1. such a beautiful way to honour the amazing industry of those beavers without having to sacrifice your land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of this! You are as industrious as the beavers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine the 'nose paintings' on this window.
    Brother beaver was good inspiration for your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I think you're glad your stitching doesn't disappear over night, Penny ...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beavers are most definitely stubborn souls and amazing to think that they could rebuild overnight. Love the Rusty Pups keeping watch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.