Sunday 4 June 2023

Walk Through of In the Middle of the World



 Judy Martin and I did a walk through and talked about our pieces 
hanging at The Muse Gallery in Kenora, Ontario.
Thank you Miranda Bouchard for recording the event with your Photographs.



'My Awakened Heart', 'Her Arms Wrapped Round' and 'My Heart'
Judy's three pieces in the foreground.
'Resting Between Night and Day', 'The Edge of the Woods', 'A Stream Runs Through it' and 'Woodpeckers Live Here'
My pieces on the wall.

As you walk into the gallery this is the beginning of what I think is an emotional experience.
Not to be sentimental but being surrounded by large stitchings have that effect on me!
 They create a welcoming and comforting environment.
Like old English houses where walls were hung with tapestries 
both to impress but also to help warm the place.
Like my grandmother's home where huge, heavy velvet curtains separated the living room from the dining room to keep us warm with a coal (yikes) fire burning.


Love this photo


'Beaver Moon Dreaming' My piece on the wall.
'Eternity', 'Flowers Bloomed' and 'The Forever' Judy's three pieces.


'Resting at Low Tide' My piece on the wall.
'The Forever' Side B Judy's piece in the foreground.

We are so different yet so alike!


Miranda, me, Dagmar Plenk and Judy

We had a surprise visitor, Dagmar who came up from the States to see the show.
We had met online but it is so much better getting to know someone in the flesh.
We had a lovely visit didn't we, Dagmar!


We all loved listening to Judy explaining each piece.


'The Forever' and 'Time Future' Judy's pieces in the foreground.
'Summer's Dance' my piece on the wall.


'Time Past' Judy's piece in the foreground.
'Woodland Berries' My piece on the wall.

'Woodland Berries' is a piece not only about the wild berries the float 
like waves through the woods in Autumn
 but it's also about the woodpeckers that lie in these woods
and the stoney ground that huge trees somehow manage to find nutrients in.


'Dancing in the Wind' and 'Follow the Moon' My pieces on the wall.
'Medicine Earth' Side B Judy's piece beyond the door.


My experience of someone's work is always enriched with their artist talk.
So I am always happy to share my thoughts and process with others.
Even if my throat goes dry and scratchy sometimes!


Some of my works had to be given a wall of their own.
Just too many of them!
Thank you to The Muse for giving them space.

We are delighted that
'In the Middle of the World'
A show of Judith E. Martin and Penny Berens's work
Curated by Miranda Bouchard
has been extended to hang in The Muse gallery,
Kenora, Ontario
Until July 4th, 2023.

Have a great day
We are enjoying a few days of rain here in Nova Scotia
 Hope it is enough to dampen all the wild fires.
  

13 comments:

  1. Love the work of each of you, but also love the success and joy it brings you? Next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing your photos & words from this fabulous exhibition for those of us who live on the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The show was stunning. I sure enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful work 🙏Thankyou for sharing with us 🪷🌷

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning show, I would love to be there and wrapped around in all your beautiful work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always inspirational and beautiful! Patience in the process. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As wonderful as it is seeing you and your works online, I can only imagine how much more so it would be in person

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous. In my dreams I am there. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To see this amazing show in person must rally be profound. To be able to walk through the space, around the pieces and be within would be so wonderful. To top it off, the two of you doing this show together...two artists and friends...what could be better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, indeed. And your pieces "talk" to each other so nicely, so there is the conversation between the artists as well as the conversation between their works. Enriching for all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you so much for allowing us to share in this wonderful exhibition by the two of you, so much beauty and quiet stitching there. It's so inspiring to be able to see your works from the other side of the world

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing the pictures - not as good as being there in person, but wonderful to see the scope of all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much beauty all in one place. I especially love "Summer's Dance"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.