Sunday 14 November 2021

Getting Back into the Rhythm of Stitch




What a glorious Summer we had here in Nova Scotia
A Summer to remember
Everything grew and grew and grew
Wild apple trees drooped under the weight of apples the size of grapefruits.
Rusty Pups discovered they were delicious!

Bright, bold Dahlias grew as big as dinner plates 
Dancing through my flowerbed
They took my breath away
And were still going strong until Jack Frost put them to rest. this week.

Wanting to remember and celebrate this Summer
For me that is through stitch.

It will be a piece of joyful memories

Giant balls of colour and stitch.....


.... will dance across my piece with companions of every size.


And of course they will come to rest on the soil
which they will enrich in preparation for next years Summer.

The cycle of life.

I am content
I am joyful
I am dancing along with the dahlias in memory of this Summer past
and settling down to new stitchings with anticipation.

It is what I do.


When the Rusty Pups come and plonk themselves in front of me as I stitch....
,,,,and even shove their noses into my cloth as I stitch....
....informing me they feel neglected
So we stop for a cuddle
Or a walk
Or a meal.
They are very patient but there comes a time when they feel the need to interject!

I hope your companions of every kind allow you the time to create today!



18 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to celebrate and remember your beautiful summer. I love those big balls of colour. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Lin I wrote this post very conscious of the fact that so many had a devastating Summer.

      Delete
  2. How lovely! And the Rusty Pups are growing up to be delightful, if demanding, studio companions, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rap’s can be very persistent! But it is a good thing because sometimes I sit for too long and really need to move!

      Delete
  3. I can get so lost in stitch that my clothing leaves creases in my skin from sitting so long in one spot ... how lucky you are to have such sweet companions urging you to get up and about ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Liz! What we love to do can keep us sitting for way too long. I bought a Fitbit watch to remind me to move… but with the RP’s I really didn’t have to did I!

      Delete
  4. I do love your dahlia's!! So full of texture and color
    I grew dahlia's too, they are wonderful flowers
    happy stitching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan….I am indeed having fun arranging whole skeins of thread down and controlling them with couching!

      Delete
  5. I’ve reallly loved seeing your new work, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen…..love your shards…very interesting!

      Delete
  6. I have only discovered dahlia's over the past two years, when my frail Father asked me (his only daughter, out of three, that gardens) to plant out his dahlia tubers. Now that dad has gone, I have started my own dahlia patch.
    Your creation is a lovely way to remember a one fine Summer. season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handy Hubby wants more dahlias in the garden. My problem here with such severe winters has been keeping them over winter. No way can we leave them in the ground here. So far my corms perish in our basement! Have had to buy new ones!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, the beauty of your stitches is carrying us into the upcoming winter months with delight and beautiful colour! Always... and I love that you are having some time indoors to relax and know you will be out on the berms and paths soon enough - but the stories told of your dahlias will bring us all reminders and comfort along the way.
    Planning another day in Almonte before the snows come (again) so I can actually sit and just stitch there myself and relish in the beauty of each of your's and Judy's works. Be warm and safe and take that Fitbit on some adventures! Love you...bethany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Bethany…thank you so much. You are such a dear.
      I will imagine you wandering around the gallery and wish I was there with you!

      Delete
  8. The apples here were amazing too. We went to the orchard a couple of times and as we drove past the trees we were astounded at the sheer amount of apples on the trees. It was amazing that they could continue to remain upright under the weight of them. Now we hunker down for the dreaded winter and hope it's not too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wonder of Mother Nature!
      We has our first snow last night and as I walked with the dogs I thought if hibernating….the winters get harder as I get older! But there again I have many friends who look forward to the winters!

      Delete
  9. Your summer garden was magnificent!!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pink Dahlia is amazing! I love that you included them falling to the ground to complete the cycle. Such beautiful work Penny, reflecting a gorgeous garden. Years ago, I'd sent Michelle in NYC one of their Dahlia Garden videos (similar to this one). So wonderful! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz-15zyn9mI
    Lastly, I notice how your work here and Judy's work continue to compliment each other. I love that!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.