Monday 18 June 2018

Touching Life


Touch
for me
is most important.
It connects me to my work
more so than seeing it displayed on a wall.
Touch is memory.
Touch is healing.


In preparing for a show I have to
think of the visual too.
Remind myself that presentation is important.
So, for that reason I am stitching galvanized nails
to the bottom of my long narrow paths.
I am thinking the weight will keep them hanging nicely.


As I stitch I spy a precious rock that I have carried with me for years.
A talisman of sorts
A tactile memory of a difficult time in my life.
Strangely enough I hadn't thought of including it 
as one of my stones for 'Stone Pathways'.


As I stitch I am also musing on what
the next daily stitching journal will be.
Perhaps
drawing outlines of important things
like my tiny piece of whittling
done on the shores of Georgian Bay
when my three boys were oh so young.


Perhaps these would be a part of a project like that.
Small bits and pieces from my life
that are always with me
kept safely in a pouch.
We shall see.

I hope you have a collection of talismans from your life
that might inspire.
Sometimes we ignore the things we see or touch every day.

19 comments:

  1. I love how you're finishing the stones, into paths. Your work never ceases to amaze me. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paths...like the walks I took every day to pick up stones!

      Delete
  2. I am loving this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to have you drop by, Penny. Your daily journeys/walks along the shore are always so inspiring to me.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is amazing. I have enjoyed seeing you making these, and seeing what the final product looks like is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shasta. When it is hung up in the gallery I will show you what it looks like.

      Delete
  4. such beautiful journey work, look forward to seeing your photos of the exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Mo. I am ‘agape’ with wonderment at those pennants and talismans you have organized.

      Delete
  5. I think the nails should be just enough to keep your paths hanging straight.
    when you get the exhibition sorted out, your next daily stitch will present itself, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A "Precious Pouch!" A gentle nudge from the past? Good must come of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Sue. It would be great if good came of it.

      Delete
  7. This is such beautiful writing. Between your post and your art, the depth is incredible. It is so spiritual and feels like something very ancient and sacred. Thank you so much. I always look forward to getting your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I am honoured you enjoy dropping by.

      Delete
  8. I would want to etch the bits. Drape soft cloth over them, rub a crayon across the surface. I like to 'see' the textures too. I can't get them to look right, when I do, but I try anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmm....as usual you have a greatidea Vicky!

      Delete
  9. I lingered over your first photo, finding your stones so interesting...so much detail to take in, from the different fabrics you have used for each stone, to the different stitches you have used. I too, look forward to the photos of your exhibition, so we can see the piece in it's entirety & gain a sense of it's scale and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny....yes, I will photograph them in situ. They are about 6.5 feet long.

      Delete
  10. For me the sense of touch is often more important than what I see with my eyes - at least it plays a very large part. I can't help but fondle fabrics in every shop I visit. I would love to touch your stone pathways (with clean hands, of course!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.